Tourist-Third Cabin on R.M.S. Adriatic
Most of those who travel under this new plan will find themselves in cabins superior to any previously occupied by Tourist passengers.
The largest of White Star's 'Big Four' liners, Adriatic's second class had offered a cut above the market when introduced in 1907. Upon her conversion to a 'Cabin Liner' in 1928, Tourist-Third passengers found these rooms their new domain. Third Class passengers also saw substantial improvements to their accommodations including a new suite of modern public rooms. During her ever popular cruises, Tourist Third accommodation stretched the entirety of what had formerly been both Second and Third Class.
Aft of the Cabin Class staterooms, an additional deckhouse contained the Library for Tourist-Third (formerly Second Class) passengers. The Library was located directly below the Smoking Room with Decks, B, C, and D being connected by a broad, sweeping style of staircase. As in the apartment above, the base of the aft-most mast cut through the middle of the room. The Library was spacious and well-ventilated. The room was pannelled in satinwood with inlaid panels whilst the windows were decorated with stained glass. A plentiful quantity of mahogany furniture was provided, fitted to the floor and upholstered in floral-pattered fabric. A generously sized bookcase contained a number of volumes which were available to loan by the passengers.
Farther aft of the Tourist-Third Library was an additional deckhouse containing a specially build Tourist-Third Lounge. Originally designated as a promenade deck for Third Class passengers, the open deck was enclosed to build the new Lounge during Adriatic's refit in 1929. Considerably more modern in taste in comparison with much of Adriatic's Edwardian era accommodation, the room was decorated in a light colour scheme, furnished with bright wicker furniture, and fitted with a piano and gramophone.
A spacious set of public rooms was provided for the comfort of Third Class passengers at the stern of Deck D to the rear of the Tourist-Third entrance and staterooms. These rooms had not been included in Adriatic's original design. They were installed in 1921 after her re-entry into service following the First World War. Third Class accommodation was equipped with a new lounge, smoking room, barber's shop, and children's playroom at the expense of a number of Third Class births and over-spill dining space. These had been rendered surplus to requirements following the decline in European migration to the United States after 1919, leading the company to focus on modernizing Third Class accommodation to meet the needs of new categories of budget traveler.